[Digikam-users] Crash in directory browsing (0.9 svn)

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Jul 5 19:55:23 BST 2006

> > Gilles this is code I wrote so I feel responsible ;-)
> > I have also had this crash sometimes but not reproducibly.
> > Is this related to the commit from toma from Monday?
>
> Well Toma have reported to me a backtrace and he have identified that the
> crash is relevant of kapp->processEvent() in scanlib. This is why he have
> comment a line in scanlib.cpp
>
> > That would make sense for me: If scanlib calls kapp->processEvents() it
> > will sometimes process the deleteLater() event, so your patch would solve
> > this - but, we may only call deleteLater if isBusy() is false, your patch
> > calls it in any case.
> >
> > It seems ScanLib is written with the initial scan in mind, so if it is
> > called from the running UI, as from CameraUI, it is another solution to
> > disable lines 337 and 338 in this case (not in the normal case) and set a
> > busy cursor.
>
> Well, i let's you fix this point into svn, if you have the right
> solution... If you fix is right the commented line in scanlib.cpp can be
> un-commented ?

If I am right about the reason for this crash, then we can restore the line.
With a not reliably reproducible crash, there is not much we can do but try
it.
I will commit my suggestion of a solution.

> > The second crash reported by Duncan looks like something I got when I
> > tried to stop a KProcess not from the main thread (then I understood that
> > KProcess is heavily non-reentrant).
>
> Well, KProcess is used where exactly ?

Actually, the rawloader. But I don't see why the rawloader should be called at
this point, nor do I see a place where it is wrongly calling KProcess
methods.
We'll have to investigate this second crash further if anyone can repoduce it.
It's just that I wanted to say I have seen something like this before. It's
not necessarily KProcess.

Marcel