[Digikam-users] Canon Rebel xt 350D

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Mon Jan 2 15:22:28 GMT 2006

Am Montag 02 Januar 2006 16:10 schrieb John Manfredi:
> I did not realize how quickly I would get a response.
>     My camera list includes
>             "Canon Digital Rebel (Normal mode)" and
>             "Canon Digital Rebel (PTP Mode) ".
>
>     It does not include  "Canon EOS 350D". I thought
> that
>  "Canon Digital Rebel" = "Canon 350 D", since the
> later is not included in my camera list.
>       I have tried  both "normal" and "PTP" mode's
> with my Canon 350D with the camera's communications
> set to "PC connection" and "Print/ PTP" respectively.
> In both cases I receive the message " Failed to
> connect to the camera. Please make sure its connected
> properly and turned on. Would you like to try again?"
>        I have my camera mode dial set to the manual
> setting(the green box).
> When my camera is set to PTP the LCD panel reads Busy,
> however when I'm set to PC connection the camera
> behaves as if it is not connected at all and I am able
> to sift through my images on the LCD display as
> normal.

Hi,

some infos:
normal mode support for 350D/Rebel and 20D is experimental. You
have to switch it on during compile time. For non-newbies this
goes like this:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gphoto login
[RETURN]
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gphoto
co -P libgphoto2

cd libgphoto2/
./autogen.sh
./configure CFLAGS=-DCANON_EXPERIMENTAL_20D --prefix=/usr
--sysconfdir=/etc
make && make install

You can reset the busy flag using libptp2
http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/libptp/libptp2-1.1.0.tar.gz
this way:

ptpcam -r

The permant busy-flag is a bug in Canons ptp protocoll handler.

HTH

  Thorsten