[Digikam-users] Photographs with metadata...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Feb 23 12:49:57 GMT 2006

Le Jeudi 23 Février 2006 13:24, Markus Spring a écrit :
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Gilles Caulier schrieb:
> > If any digiKam users use recent cameras (with marker notes) or any
> > commercial programs to tag images using IPTC (Adobe soft in photograph
> > workflow for example), let's me hear...
>
> I am using a Konica-Minolta 7D with digikam - which is a really great
> program, by the way!
> So I would definitely like to see its exif data supported for the mrw
> files, too, which exiv2 unfortunately does not do at the moment. Even more
> unfortunate ist the fact that the Minolta MakerNotes are not decoded at all
> by exiv2, but perhaps it's considered a dying system...
>
> So for some of my examinations I will stick with Image::Exiftools and even
> try to write an extension for this.

Ah... Good sound !!! Great... You will contrib to Exiv2 project then...

i'm also Minolta user (Dynax 5D), and i would like to see  MRW exif info
available in digiKam (:=))))

I think that we can improve RAW file metadata support under Exiv2 since any
RAW files format have been decrypted by other projects. See bellow any links
to check about :

In general  :

- http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/RawStandards/RawSummary.html
- http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/
- http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

NEF :

- http://www.clex.sk/cpexif/
- http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html#exif

MRW (Z2 -> DNG converter) :

- http://dafnis.galeon.com/z2-en.htm

and the most _IMPORTANT_ !!! :

http://www.virtual-cafe.com/~dhh/tools.d/exifprobe.d/exifprobe.html

.. Where you can find a full code to extract Exif info from major RAW file
formats !!!

Nota : Exiv2 is also used to KphotoAlbum (Kimdaba) and Reveal program...

Gilles