[Digikam-users] Contrast/Gamma settings for DigiKam?

Dudas Gabor dudasg at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 17 21:03:10 GMT 2006

jdd wrote:
> Dudas Gabor wrote:
>
>> The description about the correct settings can be found at:
>> http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
>
> be aware that this don't works on all the systems. I tryed
> it extensively with no good result.
>
> I think the notion of "gamma" is not the same for all the
> users/programmers. If I use the settings given in this page,
> I get a much to brilliant screen, with no more rapport with
> the reality of professional prints.

I would not say I understand you perfectly...
What is the relation of gamma value to softwares/programmers?
I have the strange feeling that you have tried to give 2.2 to xgamma.
You have to set your screen _final_ gamma to have 2.2.
This is defined by the sRGB, based on experience. It does not mean that you have
to set xgamma to 2.2!! Of course not. Every screen has a gamma value, because of
the electron beamer behavior. This is more or less a fixed number (around 2.5).
You have to modify this value to get the 2.2, which is good for the human eye to
distinguish the different shades. So you dont set the gamma value, but you set
the gamma-correction value, to obtain the correct gamma. (which is 2.2)
So if you make a simple division of 2.5 and 2.2, it gives 1.136. This is the
value that (ideally!!) you should use with xgamma. But ofcourse this doesn't
give always perfect result. Thats why you have to use that figure. Doesn't
matter if you are using windows, or Linux-xgamma, or whatever.
Please correct me, if I misunderstood you.

Anyway. To give more to read:

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/02/07/2244242&tid=47&tid=26&tid=7

Best regards,
Gabor