[Digikam-users] OT: printer setup

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Sat Dec 30 04:56:16 GMT 2006

Am Freitag, 29. Dezember 2006 23:05 schrieb Heiner Lamprecht:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm fighting with my printer setup.  I have an Epson Stylus Photo
> 2100, and it does a very good job, as long as I print via Windows
> (currently in a VMware-box).  But -- for obvious reasons -- I would
> like to print directly from Linux.
>
> But, regardless what I do, the result is absolutely disgusting.  The
> contrast is way too high and the colors are very very greenish.  I
> tried gimprint, gutenprint, turboprint.  But the results are more
> or less the same.
>
> I tried e.g. to print the following file:
> http://www.heiner-lamprecht.net/fileadmin/photos/print.png
>
> But the best result possible is this:
> http://www.heiner-lamprecht.net/fileadmin/photos/print_result.png
>
> As you see, it's nothing to show to proud grandparents ;-(
>
> I know, it's not really digikam-related, but maybe someone has some
> ideas of what's going wrong here.

I happen to have the exact same printer, never used it under Windows. I run it
with Gutenprint 5.0.0-3 to my entire satisfaction, but I always use Gimp for
printing. That said, I can also print from digikam without the bad effects
you have, just with a insufficient user interface.

Judging from your examples, something very fundamental is wrong. Are you sure
you don't have a CYMK setup?

Gerhard

--
http://www.gerhard.fr