[Digikam-users] raw files workflow, unklipping

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Wed Dec 27 06:58:10 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, 26. Dezember 2006 23:28 schrieb Markus Spring:
> Hi list,
> having some time to test the new release, I took a new inrun at the raw
> conversion capacities of the image editor, but was not too successfull in
> creating images that look similar to the in-camera jpegs - I use a Minolta
> 7D which can produce raw and jpeg files of the same shot.
>
> What I do at the moment is:
> * Correct white balance, especially colour temperature and gamma,
> * fix colours - brightness, color, contrast
> * apply refocus sharpening
>
> One special problem I can not overcome are coloured areas resulting from
> blown out highlights.
>
> I played with bibble for some time and was very impressed with the
> simplicity of the basic operations when converting a raw file. Only speed
> and stability under linux didn't impress me so much.
>
> So I would like to know what is a recommended or widely used workflow for
> raw conversion in digikam.

Your images are probably too dark?
digiKam uses a linear RAW conversion, which produces systematically too dark
pictures with the side effect of colored highlights. If you go to the last
tab "Lightness" you can adjust the non-linear conversion curve to create an
almost satisfactory correction.

By the way, it is not the aim of RAW conversion to reproduce the JPEG with
accuracy, it wouldn't make sense. RAW conversion is a development process
that requires custom settings or human intervention.

Gerhard

--
http://www.gerhard.fr