[Digikam-users] Digikam and KPhotoAlbum

Michael Gerdau mgd at technosis.de
Fri Dec 22 07:42:47 GMT 2006

Hi list !

I've recently starting trying digital photographie after long years
of using analog equipment (which I still do for various reasons).

I quickly came across KPhotoAlbum and started using it. Shortly after
that I came across digikam and gave that a try too.

When comparing these two (solely for my personal usecase) I can
sum up the difference as follows:
- digikam is more feature complete than KPhotoAlbum, especially
  when it comes to manipulating, color space etc.
  As you all are digikam users I won't go into details. On a
  KPhotoAlbum list this would become a lengthy paragraph ;-)
- KPhotoAlbum sports two features I really like and would want
  to see in digikam:
  a) KPhotoAlbum has a very convenient way of creating collections
     of my images. You can assign keywords, persons, locations etc.
     to pictures (something like a hierarchical structure though not
     completely user defineable). Each such keyword (person/location/etc.)
     does create something like a "dynamic" album. Each image thus
     belongs to several "dynamic" albums (basically reflecting the
     hierarchical structure made up by the keywords etc).
     That implies that by proper tagging one can very conveniently
     add/remove pictures to albums thereby creating lots of different
     groupings of my images.
     I don't know whether the same would be possible in digikam but
     if so it is at least not as intuitive (I won't argue about ease
     of use as I not even how it could be done at all).
  b) When showing the pictures the attached comment as well the
     keywords etc. do appear in a small textbox on the picture as well.
     I do like that feature very much and have not found something
     like that in digikam.
     If it's not there I'd expect it to be easily implemented and of
     course the box as well as all content should be configureable :-)
  c) Last not least I do like the timeline view/statistics of my images
     as can be seen in KPhotoAlbum. Basically date and time is just
     another "keyword" and thus this should possibly have been mentioned
     under a) above. But I just now remembered it...

Not sure if I made myself clear. I'm happy to elaborate more if
required.

Best wishes,
Michael

PS: I'm happy to add feature wish(es) if required.
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd at technosis.de