[Digikam-users] Review of Digikam

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Thu Dec 21 17:30:32 GMT 2006

Le Jeudi 21 Décembre 2006 18:00, Gonçalo Valverde a écrit :
> I agree that digiKam has a lot of nice features, but i wouldn't say
> that the criticism of the review is totally unfair. The menu structure
> is not only confusing but also not helpfull productivity wise. In
> another thread I've commented on this, but from my point of view an
> approach similar to what was taken with Adobe Lightroom would improve
> a lot the the workflow in digiKam. Digging in menus for the right
> action to use is not only tedious but also has the problem that some
> of the menu items are not intituive.. it doesn't make sense to no
> being able to change the IPTC or the EXIF directly in the tabs of the
> image editor.. it's not even intuitive that you need to do that in the
> editor of the gallery and only through a menu. F-spot seems to go into
> a better approach on this, but it lacks a lot of the functionality
> that digiKam provides.
> IMHO digiKam could become a great program if the user interface
> improves a lot, because almoust all the needed functionality is
> already there.
>
> Best regards

Sure, i understand the menu problem, but the _review_ is not a _REAL_ review.
Where are _all_ features of compared programs ? Where are DigikamImagePlugins
and kipi-plugins tests ?

Also, are you any idea of time witch we have work onto 0.9.0 release ? How
many code lines we have written to finalize this release ? How many English
word we have written/read through Mailing-list and KDE bugzilla ?

Personally, i'm working around 2, 3, or 4 hours _by day_. It very hard to
following all way given by users... This is why we need to take priority for
new implementations/improvements

...and unforget than digiKam is an opensource software, not a comercial
software !

No blame here for you, but i trying to explain exactly why i tired and i hate
to read a very uncomplete review like this...

Gilles