[Digikam-users] Review of Digikam

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Sat Dec 16 16:43:59 GMT 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 04:34:50PM +0100, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> > Just saw this negative review of Digikam:
> > http://applications.linux.com/applications/06/12/06/158220.shtml?tid=13&tid
> >=39&tid=47
>

> "In the negative column, DigiKam forces you to copy all of your digital photos
> into a separate directory in order to work with them....It ought to be
> optional."
>
> This is a valid point. I think we will improve this at some point in the
> future.
>
> "In addition, the app forces you to import your pictures into an album --
> pictures cannot exist as standalone entities in your library, which restricts
> your organizational choices."
>
> A file lives in a directory, and an album is a directory, so every file is in
> an "album" already.
> You need subdirectories and a album path, that belongs to the point above.

For me this is one of Digikams major *advantages*, I want to be able
to organise and manage my pictures with the OS tools as well as with
the applications tools.

Doing a major re-arrangement of the hierarchy of a collection of
pictures is much easier (for me anyway) using the OS and a real
hierarchy of directories.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)