[Digikam-users] digikam 0.9 keeps crashing

efpost efpost at web.de
Mon Aug 28 17:03:06 BST 2006

Hello,
My OS is Kanotix (Debian) with Kernel 2.6.17 and KDE 3.5.4. I have two
instances of digikam 0.9 on two different computers. One was compiled
from the tarballs, one installed with apt-get from debian/experimental.
Both instances create the same problems:

I start digikam from scratch ( no digikam3.db and no digikamrc). The
program asks for the database directory.

1) If I give an existing directory (with subdirectories and images
already stored) digikam crashes.
2) If I create a new and empty directory digikam starts fine
2a) If I copy images or subdirectories into this new directory and start
digikam the program crashes immediately even before the splash screen
appears.
2b) If I import images or directories the files are copied, but during
the copying process the programs halts and I have to skip an image file
or let the program do the skipping automatically. After copying is
finished ALL images are shown, even those which were presumably
skipped.  If I close digikam and start again, the program sometimes
crashes, sometimes not.
3) If I sort (sub) directories in my albumlist with drag and drop some
of the albums which were not moved are deleted or at least no longer
accessible. Restarting digikam resuklts in a crash.

I can't give any specific error messages, because the crash just evokes
the KDE-Crashmanager with Signal 11 (SIGSEGV). Back trace is not possible.

Any ideas or - better still - solutions.

Greetings
Udo