[Digikam-users] Problems with EXIF Orientation

Stephan Olbrich stephanolbrich at gmx.de
Sun Sep 18 20:05:08 BST 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 17:02, Renchi Raju wrote:
> Stephan Olbrich wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 September 2005 09:11, Renchi Raju wrote:
> >>a recent fix was added to the digikam and the kipi-plugin (which
> >>provides the rotation capability). 0.8 version of digikam and 0.1.0-rc1
> >>of kipi-plugins (when they are released) will work correctly in this
> >> case.
> >
> > So I'll have to wait for the release...
>
> digikam 0.8-beta1 is already out and 0.8beta2 will be out soon and so
> will be the next release for kipi-plugins.
I'm using digikam 0.8-beta1 already. Hope to see the new kiki-plugins soon...

> > As far as I can see, there is an exif info but no orientation tag in the
> > exif properties.
> >
> >>if yes, then you can use
> >>"correct exif orientation tag" from the menus to set the orientation.
> >
> > That's what I tried to do, but does not work.
> > So this only works, when there is already an orientation tag? Is there
> > any way to manually add the tag? (with another program?)
> >
> > Is exif that complicated, that there is no program, that can create exif
> > tags, rather than just change them?
>
> exiftool and exiv2 can add exif tags.

Thanks for the tip! exiv2 is exactly what I was looking for!
Now I need a list with important tags ...
I guessed already correctly that orientation is Exif.Image.Orientation so my
biggest problem is solved!
I'm still having troubles with images that had no exif header at all before,
When just adding an orientation tag. It shows up in the preferences, but I
can't change it and the picture doesn't get rotated in the thumbnail-view.
But the viewer (the one that opens, when I double-click on the thumbnail)
does rotate it! Strange thing ... (And yes, I do have that feature activated,
other thumnails get rotated)

Regards,
Stephan