[Digikam-users] GUI usability request

Nikolaus Filus nfilus at gmx.net
Sun Sep 18 19:15:03 BST 2005

On Sunday 18 September 2005 19:54, Renchi Raju wrote:
> Nikolaus Filus wrote:
> > The interface of the 0.7 series was very easy to use and left much
> > space for the main purpose of digikam - the photos. By introducing 2
> > sidebars and now a separation into 3 parts you loose all the space
> > for the photos and they are quenched together. The whole sidebar on
> > the left side can be replaced by a simple drop-down menu with
> > Group-by (Album, Date, Tag) and a filter function on top. It also
> > makes the right sidebar (Tag filters) redundant.
> >
> > Please consider this little user (and a developer with usability
> > sensitisation) feedback or make the new design at least an option to
> > turn off.
>
> I have uploaded new screenshots here:
> http://www.digikam.org/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=3
>
> have a look at them, especially the one where the sidebars are all
> collapsed and you can see that there is more space available for photos
> than in 0.7.x

Ok, it's switchable - great.
I'mn still not a friend of tabbed interfaces :) Especially the Tag filter:
what will happen if I'm in Tag browsing mode and switch some Tag filters
on? What's the defined behaviour? Should a filter be the property of a
view and not global?

Thanks for the fast responses.

Nikolaus

--