[Digikam-users] GUI usability request

Nikolaus Filus nfilus at gmx.net
Sun Sep 18 16:39:35 BST 2005

Hello,

recently I saw the annoncement of digikam 0.8 beta for gentoo and wanted
to take a closer look on my favourite program after a while. Because I
screwed up my development system recently, I can't really install the
beta, but the following comments are based on the screenshots on the
homepage.

Please! Please don't make the same mistake as many other developers did
(very common mistake in the kde world) to clutter the interface by using
sidebars. This is a real big misunderstanding and their invention started
the fall of many GUIs and their usability. There are a few cases, where
they are usefull and in the right place, but mostly there are other GUI
design concepts, which are at least equal powerfull, but more effective
and less intrusive.
The interface of the 0.7 series was very easy to use and left much space
for the main purpose of digikam - the photos. By introducing 2 sidebars
and now a separation into 3 parts you loose all the space for the photos
and they are quenched together. The whole sidebar on the left side can be
replaced by a simple drop-down menu with Group-by (Album, Date, Tag) and
a filter function on top. It also makes the right sidebar (Tag filters)
redundant.

Please consider this little user (and a developer with usability
sensitisation) feedback or make the new design at least an option to turn
off.

Thank you very much for your good work.

Nikolaus Filus
Technical University Berlin