[Digikam-users] Problems with EXIF Orientation

Stephan Olbrich stephanolbrich at gmx.de
Thu Sep 15 10:06:39 BST 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 09:11, Renchi Raju wrote:
> Stephan Olbrich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some problems with the EXIF Orientation.
> > My pictures are all in landscape orientation and the EXIF Orientation
> > says how they should be rotated, so Digikam shows them correct. This
> > works perfectly.
> >
> > However, if I try to rotate all pictures according to their EXIF
> > information, everything screws up and the pictures seem to be rotated
> > randomly.
> >
> > I tried to use other tools to rotate the pictures:
> > "jhead -autorot" works perfectly
> > exifautotran does nothing. It uses jpegexiforient which shows Orientation
> > "1" for landscape pictures and nothing for all pictures that should be
> > rotated.
> >
> > So there seems to be an issue with the EXIF information. I'm not sure
> > who's fault it is.
>
> a recent fix was added to the digikam and the kipi-plugin (which
> provides the rotation capability). 0.8 version of digikam and 0.1.0-rc1
> of kipi-plugins (when they are released) will work correctly in this case.
So I'll have to wait for the release...

> > Another issue is, that I have pictures from other cameras which don't
> > store the Orientation in the EXIF header. I would like to add it, but
> > that does not work.
>
> do they add any exif info? if so, you can check if they have the
> orientation tag in the exif properties.
As far as I can see, there is an exif info but no orientation tag in the exif
properties.

> if yes, then you can use
> "correct exif orientation tag" from the menus to set the orientation.
That's what I tried to do, but does not work.
So this only works, when there is already an orientation tag? Is there any way
to manually add the tag? (with another program?)

Is exif that complicated, that there is no program, that can create exif tags,
rather than just change them?

regards,
Stephan