[Digikam-users] Problems with EXIF Orientation

Renchi Raju renchi.raju at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:11:43 BST 2005

Stephan Olbrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some problems with the EXIF Orientation.
> My pictures are all in landscape orientation and the EXIF Orientation says how
> they should be rotated, so Digikam shows them correct. This works perfectly.
>
> However, if I try to rotate all pictures according to their EXIF information,
> everything screws up and the pictures seem to be rotated randomly.
>
> I tried to use other tools to rotate the pictures:
> "jhead -autorot" works perfectly
> exifautotran does nothing. It uses jpegexiforient which shows Orientation "1"
> for landscape pictures and nothing for all pictures that should be rotated.
>
> So there seems to be an issue with the EXIF information. I'm not sure who's
> fault it is.

a recent fix was added to the digikam and the kipi-plugin (which
provides the rotation capability). 0.8 version of digikam and 0.1.0-rc1
of kipi-plugins (when they are released) will work correctly in this case.

> Another issue is, that I have pictures from other cameras which don't store
> the Orientation in the EXIF header. I would like to add it, but that does not
> work.

do they add any exif info? if so, you can check if they have the
orientation tag in the exif properties. if yes, then you can use
"correct exif orientation tag" from the menus to set the orientation.

renchi