[Digikam-users] digikam doesn't print properly at 5760dpi

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Thu Oct 13 20:28:18 BST 2005

On Thursday 13 Oct 2005 18:32, David Aldred wrote:
> On Thursday 13 Oct 2005 11:59, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Hi, my printer supports 5760dpi, however, digikam doesn't work if I print
> > at this resolution. Actually, I'm not sure whether its digikam or the kde
> > printing support - if its the latter, I'll go and moan at the kdeprint
> > people.
>
> AIUI, Digikam doesn't actually print stuff - it hands that off to whatever
> you have set up for your printng system.

Ah right - I wasn't quite sure how the kde printing subsystem worked. I
_think_ from past experience, kde uses qt's printing support to render a PS
file, which is then handed off to the printing system. Not entirely sure.

> Two thoughts which may help: if you're printing at 5700 on an Epson, you
> may well be Gutenprint (formerly GIMP-Print).   Although I haven't seen
> exactly the sort of problem you are reporting, there have been some issues
> between Gutenprint and Ghostscript: you may find that the latest versions
> of both packages between them sort the problem out.

I'm using the commercial turboprint drivers to cups. However, they're running
on a remote cups server, yet the problem still appears in the print preview.

Anyway, I'll go and hassle the kdeprint people, since thats probably closer to
where the problem lies.