[Digikam-users] DigiKam And Sony DSC-P10 Wont Talk

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier lenc at ruralcomm.com
Wed Jul 27 04:09:08 BST 2005

Renchi Raju wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> When I select my Sony DSC-P10 (PTP or Normal mode) in digiKam's Camera
>> drop down I get this:
>> "Failed to connect to camera. Please make sure its connected properly
>> and turned on. Would you like to try again?"
>> I'm reasonably sure that it's connected properly having followed my Sony
>> manual instructions.  The blue viewing screen shows USB Mode NORMAL or
>> PTP(whichever I select in the setup menu) with the four red dots that
>> quickly turn to white shortly after turning on the camera.
>

> very likely this is a permissions problem. install the commandline
> gphoto2 program and then run the following from terminal, both as a
> normal user and as root:
>
> $ gphoto2 --list-files
>
> if it works as root, then you need to set the permissions correctly:
> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html
>
>> Album->Pictures file.  However, I'm not able to use the memory card
>> reader to download images from the memory stick.  I would like to use my
>> Epson Stylus CX6400 memory card reader to download images from the
>> camera but haven't seen any reference to it.
>

> to use a card reader you will need to add it as a USB Mass storage
> camera (there is an faq here:
> http://www.digikam.org/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=9 )
>
> renchi

Thanks renchi, for you insight.  It was a permission problem.  I spent
all day, literally, going over the instructions
in your referenced link, step by sep, and thought I would have to cry
uncle.  But, after finally rebooting, I was able to download the
images.  Not all together sure just what I did to fix it.

I haven't checked out
http://www.digikam.org/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=9  yet,
but will shortly.  I hope this applies to the card reader on my Epson
All-In-One card reader and not a Sony device.

Thanks again for leading me to the solution,

Leonard Chatagnier