[Digikam-users] DigiKam And Sony DSC-P10 Wont Talk

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 26 01:48:39 BST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> When I select my Sony DSC-P10 (PTP or Normal mode) in digiKam's Camera
> drop down I get this:
> "Failed to connect to camera. Please make sure its connected properly
> and turned on. Would you like to try again?"
> I'm reasonably sure that it's connected properly having followed my Sony
> manual instructions.  The blue viewing screen shows USB Mode NORMAL or
> PTP(whichever I select in the setup menu) with the four red dots that
> quickly turn to white shortly after turning on the camera.

very likely this is a permissions problem. install the commandline gphoto2
program and then run the following from terminal, both as a normal user
and as root:

$ gphoto2 --list-files

if it works as root, then you need to set the permissions correctly:
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html

> Album->Pictures file.  However, I'm not able to use the memory card
> reader to download images from the memory stick.  I would like to use my
> Epson Stylus CX6400 memory card reader to download images from the
> camera but haven't seen any reference to it.

to use a card reader you will need to add it as a USB Mass storage camera
(there is an faq here:
http://www.digikam.org/Digikam-SPIP/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=9 )

renchi