[Digikam-users] Transfer pics from one pc to another, tags too??

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Jul 20 07:23:14 BST 2005

Op woensdag 20 juli 2005 07:23, schreef Ken Walker:
> Renchi Raju wrote:
> >On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Ken Walker wrote:
> >>I have set up a new pc and I am in the process of transfering all my
> >>stuff to it.
> >>
> >>The old pc, where I was running digikam 0.7.3-beta2, kipi 0.1.1 on
> >>Mandrake 10.1/kde 3.4.1, is connected on my little lan to my new pc with
> >>runs debian sarge, digikam 0.7.2, same kipi, kde 3.3.2
> >>
> >>I have my old pic folder on the mandrake box shared using nfs.
> >>
> >>On the new pc, I ran import and imported all of the images.  They seem
> >>to have come across just fine, but my tags didn't.  Is there a way?
> >
> >it might have been better to copy the folders manually onto the new
> >machine. the tags and other metadata are stored in digikam.db file in the
> >toplevel directory. what you could try is copying over this file to the
> >new machine (assuming your directory structure is the same as in the old
> >machine).
>
> I have tried it both ways and the result is the same, I get the photos
> in their folders but no tags . ..  not sure what I am doing wrong, but
> the old install on the old computer is still sitting here beside the new
> one so I figure there must be a way . .

Say you have:
OLD Computer:
/home/ken/my images/digikam.db
/home/ken/my images/DTM/
/home/ken/my images/F1/
/home/ken/my images/Champ Cars/

If you copy "my images" to the new computer and point that digiKam to the "my
images" folder, it is impossible to loose tags. So not use import on the new
computer, but go the settings and point to the "my images" folder. Please
make sure everything is readable on the new computer.

Toma

http://www.kde.nl | http://www.digikam.org |irc: toma | toma at jabber.kovoks.nl