[Digikam-users] Importing captions + comments from Web-Gallery

Felix mythtv at ymhee-bcex.net
Sun Aug 21 22:20:29 BST 2005

Felix Eckhofer wrote:

>Hi everyone.
>
>Is there any way to import pictures (more importantly descriptions and
>comments) from a gallery on the web?
>
>While I was travelling I used to upload my pictures using
>http://gallery.sf.net and now I'm looking for some way to get those
>pictures into my favourite KDE photo management software.
>
>If there is no such solution yet - is a KIPI plugin the right way to
>cope with something like this?
>

>regards,
>felix

Gallery 1 has the picture files and the derivatives (resized,
thumbnails) in the same directory; so it would be awkward to identify
which files you *really* want to import.

Gallery2 (which is almost in production and quality-wise is better than
most production software that I've seen... but then again - I am biased
;-) ) has the directory structure that corresponds to the albums, so the
import process would be more straightforward. There is also a good set
of APIs (in PHP) that would allow you to get the metadata from the
database. If PHP is not a choice - there is always a way to get metadata
straight from the database.

I was thinking about the opposite task - publish the albums from digikam
straight to your Gallery site. I don't know much about digikam
internals, but if you need any help with Gallery - I'd be happy to help!

Felix (different from original poster :-D )