Test Data for DigiKam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:39:35 BST 2022

Le mer. 28 sept. 2022 à 15:14, Steven Robbins <steve at sumost.ca> a écrit :

> On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 12:43:44 A.M. CDT Gilles Caulier wrote:
>
> > If we choose this solution, i propose to check in cmake script if the
> > test data is present, and in this case to enable unit tests which use
> > this data.
> >
> > The advantage is to not run all the unit tests in the CI which is
> > limited in all cases to one hour. The disadvantage is to run unit
> > tests in developers computers for these unit-tests using data files.
> >
> > What do you think about this proposal ?
>
> I realise that digikam is under massively active development -- with multiple
> commits per day often.  So there is some disadvantage to running a massive
> amount of testing on every commit.
>
> Some may quibble about what "massive" means -- for my paid work, we have a
> code base that takes about 30 hours to run all the tests.  So I see the
> current 30 minutes as small.  :-)
>
> But I hear you -- the CI is a shared resource with all of KDE, after all.
>
> When I work on the code, I for sure like to be able to run the tests locally.
> So your arrangement fulfils that need.  However, I suggest there is great value
> in ALSO running them -- at some frequency -- on the CI machines for wider
> testing.  At home, I'm personally testing just one configuration: Debian linux
> with FFMPEG 5.  Sometimes I additionally test FFMPEG 4 in a chroot.  But the
> CI provides coverage on windows, for example, which I am never going to do
> myself.
>
> So: can we devise a mechanism where we run lower-frequency (once per day?)
> test jobs to get this coverage?  That would require the CI "checkout"
> mechanism to pull down this second repo in some fashion.  Is that do-able?

Certainly, but all the in-deep CI settings must be configured in a
special place managed by system admin.
I'm not sure if this kind of settings is located in project repo, as
in this file:

https://invent.kde.org/graphics/digikam/-/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml

Again, this is a question to ask to Ben in this file :

https://phabricator.kde.org/T15844