Test Data for DigiKam

Steven Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Wed Sep 28 14:13:44 BST 2022

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 12:43:44 A.M. CDT Gilles Caulier wrote:

> If we choose this solution, i propose to check in cmake script if the
> test data is present, and in this case to enable unit tests which use
> this data.
>
> The advantage is to not run all the unit tests in the CI which is
> limited in all cases to one hour. The disadvantage is to run unit
> tests in developers computers for these unit-tests using data files.
>
> What do you think about this proposal ?

I realise that digikam is under massively active development -- with multiple
commits per day often.  So there is some disadvantage to running a massive
amount of testing on every commit.

Some may quibble about what "massive" means -- for my paid work, we have a
code base that takes about 30 hours to run all the tests.  So I see the
current 30 minutes as small.  :-)

But I hear you -- the CI is a shared resource with all of KDE, after all.

When I work on the code, I for sure like to be able to run the tests locally.
So your arrangement fulfils that need.  However, I suggest there is great value
in ALSO running them -- at some frequency -- on the CI machines for wider
testing.  At home, I'm personally testing just one configuration: Debian linux
with FFMPEG 5.  Sometimes I additionally test FFMPEG 4 in a chroot.  But the
CI provides coverage on windows, for example, which I am never going to do
myself.

So: can we devise a mechanism where we run lower-frequency (once per day?)
test jobs to get this coverage?  That would require the CI "checkout"
mechanism to pull down this second repo in some fashion.  Is that do-able?

Cheers,
-Steve