ffmpeg impasse

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:54:25 GMT 2022

Hi all,

Another point where GStreamer is a big puzzle : under Windows there is
no codec installed. Users need to add proprietary solutions to handle
video files. This is not acceptable. FFMpeg is the only right
solution... everywhere.

This is certainly why the Qt team added the ffmpeg plugin to QtMultimedia.

Also under Linux, I lost a lot of time trying to understand how to add
the right codecs for my video files (taken with iphone for ex). The
codec comes from non open source repo and even if codecs are installed
GStreamer ignores the files.

For me GStreamer is a kind of project to not follow at all. Too complicated...

Gilles