burger menu missing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 16:11:48 GMT 2022

Hi,

No, in digiKam code the main menu is never disabled at all. But the main
menu is constructed in the background (as also the burger menu if we want
to use it later) by the KDE KF5 framework, and the rules of KDE developers
is to follow the UI design mode to hide the main menu in all applications.
It's like you use the last version of Microsoft Office where all main menus
disappear in favor of a complex and overloaded tool-bar. In terms of
usability, it's nonsense and it forces you to learn from scratch to drive a
car. It's a main reason that personally I use LibreOffice instead of
Microsoft Office in my office when I can...

In the social networks, and especially in groups talking about photo
applications, I can see people criticizing digiKam about the complex and
older GUI, because it does not follow the UI design mode. I'm sorry but an
application without a main menu is poorly usable (for ex Darktable) even if
it provides powerful features.

Best

Gilles Caulier