digiKam availability as Flatpak/Snap

Ihor Dvoretskyi ihor.dvoretskyi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 18:38:16 GMT 2020

I know that this was discussed some time ago (
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/flatpak-kde-applications-Add-digikam-to-our-nightly-flatpak-builds-td4704276.html#none),
but I'd like to get the current status. Any plans of the digiKam community
to make the digiKam software be available as snap (http://snapcraft.io/) or
Flatpak (https://flatpak.org/) packages?

It is clear that the Appimages exist, but Appimage has its own limitations.
Specifically, there is no automated way to track the release changes and
automatically upgrade the local version of the software - you have to go to
the website and download a new version of digiKam every time when it's
released. So, I'm fine with using Appimages, but they have their own
limitations.

I have discovered that it's a common practice for the various projects from
the KDE ecosystem to be released as the Flatpak packages (
https://flathub.org/apps/search/kde) and snaps (
https://snapcraft.io/search?q=kde), so it would be great to have digiKam
available in one of those (or both) formats someday.