digikam 6.0.x and kipi-plugins

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 05:12:59 GMT 2019

Hi,

Yes for the 6.0.0 release, libkipi dependency is removed. This is the plan
to make digiKam less KDE dependent application.

For the end users, this will not changes something, as all older tools
still here, but not as plugins. For packaging, this will more simple due to
dependencies simplification.

For 6.1.0, new plugin interfaces  (note the "s") will be ready to use. This
have not been ready for 6.0.0. These interfaces will be pure Qt5
implementations, as Marble project do.

6.1.0 will introduce more : 3 plugins interfaces for digiKam as generic,
editor, and batch queue manager (Showfoto will use 2 first ones). The
implementation is mostly done to 85% in a dedicated branch.

Later we plan more plugin interfaces : image loaders, maintenance, and
perhaps database.

External contributions will be possible with open API using only digiKam
headers.

Voilà for the technical sumary.

Best

Gilles Caulier