preparing 6.0.0 code...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 16:53:30 GMT 2018

The main integration and improvements of new face recognition algorithms in
6.0.0 branch is now complete and ready to use.

The default algorithm is DNN (deep neural network => deep learning => IA).

In face scan dialog, in advanced tab, we have a new option where
recognition algorithm can be selected.

- lpbh : older one present on 5.x based on OpenCV (
https://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/contrib/doc/facerec/facerec_tutorial.html#local-binary-patterns-histograms
)
- fisherfaces : OpenCV based (
https://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/contrib/doc/facerec/facerec_tutorial.html#fisherfaces
)
- eigenfaces : OpenCV based (
https://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/contrib/doc/facerec/facerec_tutorial.html#eigenfaces
)
- dnn : dlib based (
http://blog.dlib.net/2017/02/high-quality-face-recognition-with-deep.html)

I'm not yet satisfied by DNN. I'm not started to compare the algorithm with
a clean database. In all cases, we must detect all faces, not tagged. After
that, we need to train the faces with names, else the recognition will not
work. As i know, at least with lpbh algorithm, we need at least 6 images
tagged with same name to see a recognition result while scanning. To have a
clean compare result, for each algorithm to use, we need a clear database.

The student working on this project while summer 2017 report to me that in
all cases the best algorithms are :

1 DNN.
2 eigenfaces.
3 fisherfaces.