Introduction as a GSoC aspirant and problem in setting up the code for digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 18:08:13 GMT 2018

Hi and Welcome,

The MacOS is not the best platform to develop with digiKam project. I use
also a MacBook pro 2012 with 8GB or RAM to run a Linux in VirtualBox. There
is no time latency problem while running the application or compiling.

Compiling and hack under MacOS require Macports which is currently broken.
There are too much update without regression tests. This is the main
Macports problem.
Also, KF5 need a patch about QStandardPath and an install with complex
rules to see the application running properly. I packaged all rules in
scripts to bundle the application. That all. To resume, there is no
specific hack under MAcoOS and DK is provided as well for the moment.

90% of devel are done under Linux. The rest is under Windows (DK is fully
cross compiled under Linux with MXE). It's more simple to hack under
Windows than MacoOS, but Linux still the best OS to code so far.

So i recommend to play with code under Linux. All shared libs must be
there, or if necessary can be compiled without any problem.

We currently finalize the 5.x serie. The main goal is 6.0.0 and all new
developement must be done in this branch from git repository.

I recommend to use the super-repository and switch to 6.0.0 branch :

https://cgit.kde.org/digikam-software-compilation.git/

...run the download-repos script, and switch also the core sub directory to
6.0.0 branch. Read well the README file for git configuration. DEPENDENCIES
file has all details about external components to install to compile the
application. The 6.0.0 branch has less dependencies than 5.x code.

When you arrive to this point (compile whole application), we will talk
about the next stage : code something new in digiKam.

Best