GSoC2018 digiKam project2

Yingjie Liu yingjiewudi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 12:52:47 GMT 2018

Dear digiKam contributors and Mr. Gilles Caulier

Hi, this is Yingjie Liu, from Tsinghua University, China. I was working on
face management part for digiKam in GSoC2017. I have read digiKam's ideas
for GSoC2018, and I would like to recommend myself for project 2: Added the
possibility to manually sort the digiKam icon view.
Here are some brief jobs I plan to finish:
1. Sort icon view by drag and drop.
2. Update SQLite and MySQL database, including: store and read the sort
result, write database upgrade procedure.
3. Improve face recognition. I imported the face recognition code from
dlib, and the recognition speed is not as fast as in dlib.In order to solve
the speed problem, I think it is better to include dlib in digiKam source
tree, and we can put dlib in a path like /libs/extra/dlib. The code in dlib
is included in its specific namespace dlib, so it wouldn't have conflicts
with the code in digiKam. Besides, it will be convenient for us to solve
other image processing problems with an inner machine learning libraries.
4. Test and write documentation.
With the experience in GSoC2017, I think I can finish the work on schedule.
I will write a detailed proposal and share with google doc these days.
I am glad to listen to your suggestions for the project. Thanks!

Best regards,
Yingjie Liu