[Digikam-devel] Getting Started For GSOC

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 06:28:10 GMT 2016

Varun,

* Qt is important to understand all the code. The digiKam database, that is
review and reorganized during Qt5 port is large and complex. I recommend to
take a look into the code before to start all investigations, to check If
you will be fine with the implementations.

This is the first stage of this project : to be able to understand quickly
the current code.

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/show/libs/database

There are 3 database types :

1/ Sqlite
2/ Local Mysql server (working as Sqlite with a dedicated server
implemented in digiKam core)
3/ Remote Mysql server

1/ work very well and is stable.

2/ work but schema need big improvement and hack.

3/ need requirement of 2 plus new code to be compatible with concurrent
access by multiple digiKam session at the same case (Photo agency use case)

* The second stage of this project is to look in databases schemas, that i
s also review and re-organize while Qt5 port. The digiKam database
interface as a XML wrapper tho handle schemas, written in different
sections of a big XML file :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/show/data/database

For each Database types, we have 3 database container :

- Core (the big one for digiKam properties)
- Thumbnails (to store wavelets thumbs of images)
- Faces (to store faces finger prints for detection and recognition).

In the database implementation, you will find sub sections dedicated for
dedicated features.

* The 3rd stage of this project is to review buzilla reports that i sorted
for database and list all main problems to fix by priority order for Mysql
types.

https://bugs.kde.org/component-report.cgi?product=digikam

* The last stage to complete this first pre-analyze of this project is to
write a google doc to list all technical details listed below plus all your
investigations, before to write the proposal for GSoC.

I'm waiting questions now.

Good luck