[Digikam-devel] Do we need a KF5-based version of libkgeomap?

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:11:07 BST 2015

Hi Tobias,

Gilles has recently made the decision that libkgeomap code is imported
into the KF5 version of digiKam core, in order to minimize the number
of libraries digiKam team needs to maintain.

In the KDE4 world libkgeomap is used by digikam, kipi-plugins (the
"geolocator" plugin) and kphotoalbum. The geolocator tool was moved
from kipi-plugins into digiKam-5.x core (only for the KF5-based
version), so for now libkgeomap is only used by digiKam internally and
the source code is simply incorporated in the digikam Git repo.

Question is, will KF5-based libkgeomap be used soon by other projects?
If yes, then we will finally have to make a release (libkgeomap-5.0?).
And then we end up with two copies of the same codebase: one in
libkgeomap.git and another in digikam.git (which is already slightly
modified because it is not a shared library there anymore). It should
be clear to everyone that two forks of the same code are hardly
maintainable.

All in all,
 - Are you going to port KPhotoAlbum to KF5?
 - What should we better do with libkgeomap at the moment and when
should it be released, in your opinion?
 - Can you maintain libkgeomap/KF5 as a shared library? (This means
patch reviews, ABI maintenance, bug fixing/triaging, etc.)

--
Alexander Potashev