[Digikam-devel] Digikam and Nepomuk

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 16:26:41 GMT 2014

"The majority of Nepomuk applications just rely on tags, ratings and comments.
Baloo offers a simple asynchronous API for modifying that file metadata."

These are also the use scenarios which we had. (I believe faces are not
implemented?)

"This metadata is now stored with the extended attributes of the file instead
of storing it in a separate database."

If this refers to operating system level extended attributes, I will be
interested to see how size limitations and cross-platform issues may be
solved.

In any case, if a technology is born in academia and after years of
development by different, talented people cannot be brought to performance in
real code, it seems to be a wise decision to change the fundamental design
while keeping the higher-level API.

Marcel