[Digikam-devel] GSoC Introduction: Aniket Handa

Ananta Palani anantapalani at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:12:40 GMT 2012

Hi Aniket,

I'm not in charge of this particular area of digiKam, but here are some
links you can start looking into to get familiar with using OpenCV and
performing facial recognition, as well as descriptions and papers for
various algorithms. The current algorithm (eigenfaces) used in digiKam
would not be very good with real-world images (even if it worked properly).
One of the best (if not the best) algorithm available would be the
Fisherfaces or Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) method. You can read a
nice summary and analysis here:

   http://www.bytefish.de/blog/fisherfaces

Here are some good summaries of various algorithms that are available for
further comparison:

   http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/FaceRecognition
   http://www.face-rec.org/algorithms/

I believe you have to apply and be accepted to the GSoC program before you
can actually be work on GSoC projects, but someone else will probably
contact you about that (or info might be on the GSoC website?).

Best,
-Ananta