[Digikam-devel] [digikam] /: On Linux, use Inotify directly for file notification changes

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Nov 8 08:52:16 GMT 2011

> Marcel,
>
> very interesting solution. I'm sure that some bugzilla files will be
> closed in the future.
>
> KInotify do not exist in KDELibs yet ? Or do you have customized this
> implementation for digiKam ?

It's not yet in kdelibs, it was only recently written for use inside the Nepomuk indexer. The code was copied and slightly customized from Nepomuk Core.
In the current form, I'm not sure it will ever be in kdelibs: For Linux, it's the best solution, because we get information in better quality, and we get the information which we really need (closed-after-write). But Inotify is definitely Linux-only.
If there are comparable solutions for Windows and Mac, the way to go would be to extend KDirWatch API and offer this cross-platform. But I dont know about available APIs on these systems.

Marcel