[Digikam-devel] Re: GSoC 2011 - Clone Tool for Image Editor

Amey Dharwadker ameydhar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:36:09 BST 2011

On 3/28/11, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Amey, and welcome to the game...
>
> 2011/3/25 Amey Dharwadker <ameydhar at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Amey Dharwadker.  I am currently working on the final
>> semester of an eight semester B.Tech degree course at the Department
>> of Electronics and Communication Engineering, National Institute of
>> Technology (NIT) Trichy, India.
>>
>> My research interest is in Computer Vision. I  have worked on projects
>> in this field and also have some of my work published. I am interested
>> in the "Clone Tool for Image Editor" project proposed by digiKam at
>> GSoC 2011. Do you want to implement  the mean value interpolation
>> algorithm or you want to work with the Laplacian method? I assume you
>> want the work to be focussed on "Adaptive Cloning" (for automatic
>> adjustment of color and lighting conditions) rather than just the heal
>> tool, which is just taking one area from an image, and paste it
>> smoothly in some other area.
>
> No. The gaol of this project is to write a tool to clone area by hand,
> as under Photoshop or gimp. We have already a lots of automatic tool
> in digiKam, which do not help in-deep to remove unwanted objects,
> persons, etc...
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15037.html
>
> Do you know C++, Qt, and KDE API ? It's very important fto be able to
> play with digiKam code...
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier

Hi Gilles,

I am proficient in C++ and am currently going through the KDE API. I
am also learning Qt to work on the DigiKam project.

My research interest is in Computer Vision and I was very interested
to work for the Digikam project. I was initially in contact with Alex
Jironkin since Dec 2010 and had gone through the libface library and
face detection code that was developed as a part of GSoC 2010. I had
also suggested some ideas to make the face detection more robust to
lighting conditions, variable illumination and face orientation in the
image.

I am highly motivated to learn more and work on this project. I am
starting to document for the project and shall be ready with my
application in the coming few days.

Thanks,

Amey Dharwadker
Senior Undergraduate