[Digikam-devel] Re: schema updating process from version 4 to 5 failed

Francesco Riosa francesco at pnpitalia.it
Sat Jul 16 22:31:57 BST 2011

On 07/16/11 23:08, Stephen Toledo-Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Earlier today I could start DigiKam as normal, but now it's reporting
> errors as below on startup, and failing to show any of my albums.
>
> The schema updating process from version 4 to 5 failed, caused by an
> error that we did not expect. You can try to discard your old database
> and start with an empty one. (In this case, please move the database
> files "digikam3.db" and "digikam4.db" from the directory
> "/home/joint/Pictures".) More probably you will want to report this
> error to the digikam-devel at kde.org mailing list. As well, please have a
> look at what digiKam prints on the console.
>
> After a reboot, I got the same error but this time with the possible
> improvement that re-adding the root album folder seems to be working.
>
> I suspect that the problem may have been caused by having 2 userids
> simultaneously trying to use digikam (same database). Is that likely?
>
> Is there anything else I need to be doing? I did have the output from
> running digikam from a bash shell, but that got lost in the reboot.

Hi,
   could you add a bug @ https://bugs.kde.org ?
it could have the following properties:
Product: digikam
Component: Database
Application Version: [this one is important, DigiKam 2.0.0 rc is out]
Title: DigiKam fail to start (schema updating process from version 4 to
5 failed)

Also try to start DigiKam from a shell (console) and copy&paste the
output shown.

Assuming you're using sqlite database (if not specify it in the bug report)
If the database is corrupt also from a shell it may be useful open the
sqlite database and do an integrity check

sqlite3 /home/joint/Pictures/digikam4.db
SQLite version 3.7.7.1 2011-06-28 17:39:05
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> pragma integrity_check;
ok

(Disclaimer I'm not an expert on on the sqlite database but you'll not
find many on saturday night)

thank you for the interest
- Francesco