[Digikam-devel] Re: Fwd: Internet domain name & keyword

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Wed Jan 12 19:36:50 GMT 2011

Am Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:54:21 +0530
schrieb kunal <kunal.t2 at gmail.com>:

> On 01/07/2011 06:42 PM, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I receive this mail today (look below for the contents)

To me this looks a bit like an attempt to make money. But even if there
was really someone registering digikam.cn etc I wouldn't care about it.

> IMO we should register digikam as digikam.org this would
> prevent companies from using the trademark to drive internet traffic
> to their website.

I don't know about this, but "kunal" could be right.

> additionally hosting companies like godaddy.com etc provide bulk
> domain registrations. IMHO we should also register domains like
> digikam.{org,net,....} they are quite cheap and also help drive
> digikam traffic to digikam's website.

This could done, but I think digikam.org is enough. Just today I once
again saw someone accessing wikipedia by entering the word into a
Google search field... the ranking in search engines is much more
important than having many domains. The way "putty" is doing it,
having no proper domain at all, is just a little too extreme on the
other end, I'd say. Anyway it's too late for digikam.com, which already
is a link farm. :(

Regards,
Vlado

--