[Digikam-devel] First steps with the new features: face recognition and versioning

Aditya Bhatt adityabhatt1991 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:40:33 BST 2010

Thanks for the feedback.

Face recognition:
> I knew that there were new features. If I had not known I would not have
> come
> across the face recognition since it is only a little icon in the tab bar
> at
> the left. I would suggest to check whether face recognition was ever run
> and
> ask the user whether he wants to start scanning the collection or not,
> including a checkbox "never show this again".

Fair enough.

> Why is there a "show face tags" icon if the picture does not have any face
> tags? would it not make more sense to show the "add face tag" if there are
> none yet?

Yes, noted.

> When adding a face tag I tried to name it and typed Ol <- L which opened
> the
> light table although the cursor was in the line edit for the tag name.

Known issue, but I'm not really able to reproduce this. Need to fix this ;-)

> If one moves the red square one gets some grey or black lines that remain
> on
> the picture but that might be a NVIDIA graphics driver issue.

Some problem with redrawing of the red rectangles. This code is probably
going to be rewritten. It's not an NVIDIA issue.

If one enters a name for the tag but does not click on the tick, the tag is
> not saved. I think that entering the name should be enough.
>
> Having a look at the people tags shows a preview of the picture the tag was
> added to. Yet the bit shown as preview is not the part of the image the red
> square marked, i.e. not the face.

Hmm, thanks for reporting that. I didn't know about it.

> If one opens the preview of the marked photo again the red square is gone
> and
> clicking on "show people tags" does not seem to do anything. Where is the
> red
> square gone? Or is it just a one off? I think I thought that "add people
> tag"
> meant the red square including the name and tag are added to the picture.
> But
> it only means "use the red square to pick a face". So for me the red square
> was part of the tag rather than a tool to add it. What about calling it
> "select face", "mark face", "mark person" or "link face to person"? Then it
> would be clear that nothing is added to the picture but only a face marked
> as
> person xy.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> So after searching a bit I found that one could scan the whole collection
> from
> within the people tag tab. Yet somehow it stops after a few images, i.e. it
> created an "unknown" tag and then gets stuck at some picture.
>
> I tried several times yet I never got more than one "unknown" tag, I
> thought I
> should get something like "person 1", "person 2" and then mark the false
> positives for each tag.

This is how we do it: Clicking the "unknown" tag should show you thumbnails
of all faces that have not been marked yet. They are not grouped as "person
1", "person 2", and so on.
Clicking on a person's name tag should show you thumbs of all faces that
have the person's name, and later (not implemented) this will show face
suggestions drawn from the "unknown" pool too.

We're not going to group unknown persons into unknown clusters anytime soon,
because I'm not sure how to do that efficiently.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm a bit short of time at the moment (real life
gets in the way), but I'll try to fix some of those things.
That usability advice is exactly what we need :-)