[Digikam-devel] Git

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:28:38 BST 2010

Hi all,

I got caught in yet another IRC discussion last night, this time about
transition to git. This is what Sho_ of the #kde had to say about it:

*<mck182>* Sho_: and one last question, is the move done somehow
automatically or should we move the projects ourselves?
*<Sho_>* mck182: At the moment it is extremely helpful to us if people
involved in a given project are proactive about it, which means writing
conversion rules for input into the svn2git conversion software, validating
what they produce, and making the right requests to set up the project and
push their repositories up. We recently set up a number of servers you can
use to write and to test conversion runs so you no longer need to download
the 65 GB of KDE SVN data for it.
*<Sho_>* mck182: I suggest you stop by #kde-git, the channel topic has
various links about how you can migrate

How is digiKam with git migration? Also, we could then use the
projects.kde.org site, which is kind of websvn.kde.org plus news aggregator
plus bugzilla plus wiki etc (also it's possible that this will eventuelly
replace the current bugzilla). So the sooner we move, the better for us and
kde-git-admins.

*<Sho_>* mck182: projects.kde.org provides repository browsing for KDE
projects using git, as well as other facilities such as the ability to post
news, and possibly other things in the future.
*<Sho_>* mck182: The software used for it, Redmine, has a lot of
functionality, e.g. task and issue tracking, roadmaps, even wikis and
forums. How and what of that gets used (e.g. whether we migrate from
Bugzilla to projects.kde.org for bug tracking) is a community decision
process and will thus take a while. But essentially, once the migration to
git is complete, projects.k.o will serve as a central web hub of KDE's dev
activity.

Marty