[Digikam-devel] Re: Once again ... No images shown in digikam

Simon A. Eugster granjow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:55:18 GMT 2010

On 18.11.2010 17:03, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:

>> And how can I fix this now? Shouldn't this be recognized by the CMake
>> scripts anyway?
>
> You should verify that the right version (check date) of the relevant libs are
> installed in the right places (depends on your system), here it's this:
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  489393 11. Nov 17:05
> /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikamalbums.so
> in the same dir as all other kio_* libraries.
> Also, here, error messages from slaves go into ~/.xsession-errors, if some
> libraries are not found for example.

$ ls /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikam* -1 -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 455032 18. Nov 08:29
/usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikamalbums.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 345348 18. Nov 08:34 /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikamdates.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 370911 18. Nov 08:34
/usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikamsearch.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 346577 18. Nov 08:34 /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_digikamtags.so

They seem to be correct.
As well does this seem to be one of the «bad» problems which just solve
itself without me knowing why. I've restarted, nothing else (no
dist-upgrade or so), and now it works. Sorry, would have liked to give more
valuable feedback.
On the other hand, I'm happy to have it working again :)

Thanks nevertheless for your time and answer.

>> If this problem is so classic, why does digikam not tell me what the error
>> is and help me somehow?
>
> Digikam probably does not know what the problem is, and it is not an
> application's job to analyze packaging/installation problems (this problem is
> often reported after installing new packages, if these packages dont install
> to the right place or have broken dependencies or whatever).

I see.
Still, if the debug output says that some protocol is unknown, I'd vote for
notifying the user so that he knows something is going wrong and it isn't
that digikam just decided not to show the images due to a combination of
time of day, weather, and mood.

Simon