[Digikam-devel] Re: Versioning, but not editing in digiKam

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:53:43 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 16:56, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:

> Please note that we have built the infrastructure, and a basic feature set,
> but not everything is already implemented as it could be. The important
> part
> is that implementing such features is then only a matter of putting pieces
> together.
>
> > 1. Most cameras are now able to create both RAW and JPEG files at the
> > same time. I think digikam should be able to recognize that each
> > RAW/JPEG pair is really just two versions of the same picture. Maybe it
> > could happen while importing from camera, but there should also be an
> > option to do automatic "version pairing" on existing folders. I have
> > thousands of these images.
>
> It is not implement, but considered ;-)
> Yes, this is one of the most obvious features we need.

True. I still haven't looked into this one yet, though. Marcel, how can we
detect if the RAW + JPEG are actually a pair? By filename is not enough, so
I suppose by some metadata, right (because the camera itself also display
the pair as one image)?

> > 2. When I apply some keywords/tags/metadata, I want to apply them to all
> > versions at the same time. That could be descriptions or keywords,
> > author, copyright, etc. But sometimes I want to apply metadata or tags
> > to only one specific version. Both should be possible.
>
> Should that be decided by setup option, or do you have some UI suggestions
> for
> this differentiation?

As someone already proposed, two buttons in the sidebar would be great if
we're working with versioned image - Assign only to this image / Assign to
whole version branch (some better captions of course) - otherwise display
one like now. I'll implement this. Should be fairly easy.

> > 3. Someone mentioned somewhere that all the different versions of an
> > image are stored in the same folder. I hope that is not a strict rule. I
> > like to keep a repository with original images and then keep my edited
> > versions in a separate folder tree. That makes backups a lot easier to
> > manage. At the moment, that sort of workflow makes it difficult to find
> > the edited versions of the pictures, but the new versioning feature will
> > make it really easy! Whoo hoo! Assuming that I can save a new version
> > somewhere else.
>
> I am planning to make this configurable, but I think Martin may correct me
> there is not much configurability atm. At least for automatic saving. Maybe
> we
> need a way to specify the file location of the saved file manually.

Yes, there was an idea for that, but I dropped it later, because of
switching the images. If you move any image from the relation anywhere else,
you still have it in the sidebar among the available versions, but you can't
switch to it, because it would need to switch the album as well. Also it
would break the concept of "current-version" that we had back then. Now when
you can have more than one "current" image, it could be done I suppose.
Actually, this could also be achieved kinda easily. But - What do you think,
is switching albums ok? I mean you select a version from the sidebar which
is not in current album, so the album will change and you will have selected
the desired version. I'm just afraid that this could seem a little chaotic
to some users (suddenly all the pictures are gone and they see some bunch of
other images etc).

Martin