[Digikam-devel] New UI mockup on KDE brainstorms

Julien Narboux jnarboux at narboux.fr
Tue May 18 07:35:03 BST 2010

Le 18/05/2010 07:20, Andi Clemens a écrit :
> In my opinion the second one has several ideas that are not valid, at least
> for me:
>
> 1. You already can display only the filename if you want to, and display all
> the other information in the tooltip

I agree.
> 2. Moving the search bar for the folder view into the status bar is very
> confusing, because now you don't see their relation anymore. You have two
> lineinput fields beside each other, both entitled with "search".

I agree.

> About the first screenshot:
> I already said that we need an option to turn off those overlays, especially
> the "full size preview" label. They are very annoying. I already read
> complains in some Linux forum that the new digiKam became "ugly" and that it
> throws annoying information at you :-) ...and that we don't go the KDE way,
> that allows to configure your application the way you want....
>
> Well anyway the first screenshot is basically a visual improvement, I think it
> is ok. But we definitely need to provide an option to turn those overlays off
> again.

I think a good solution for this would be that Digikam dynamically loads first a magnified version of the thumbnail, then the reduced size preview, then the full size picture. This would remove the need for these labels, we would only need a way to say that the system is still busy loading the full size preview.

What IMHO would be also nice to have in the thumbnail view is a
reduction  of the empty space.
-1- when all thumbnail in a row are in landscape we can reduce the empty
space above and below the thumbnail.
-2- when all thumbnail in a row are in portrait we can reduce the empty
space on the left and on the right of the thumbnail.
-3- when all thumbnail in a row do not have any tag we can remove the
space for the tag.
-4- maybe the mouseover buttons to rotate and select and give stars
could be above the thumbnail.
-5- the size of the thumbnails could be ajusted such that it divides the
width of the thumbview, the selector for thumbnail size would be changed
to a selector for the number of thumbnail per row.

my 5 cents

Julien