[Digikam-devel] New UI mockup on KDE brainstorms

Andi Clemens andi.clemens at gmx.net
Tue May 18 06:20:18 BST 2010

In my opinion the second one has several ideas that are not valid, at least
for me:

1. You already can display only the filename if you want to, and display all
the other information in the tooltip

2. Moving the search bar for the folder view into the status bar is very
confusing, because now you don't see their relation anymore. You have two
lineinput fields beside each other, both entitled with "search".

3. Remove one marble icon: Hmm these are two different panels. We should
either add a magnifying glass two the left marble icon or create a totally new
icon, but removing it is wrong. But maybe I misunderstood his point, and he
was really only talking about the icon, not the panel.

About the first screenshot:
I already said that we need an option to turn off those overlays, especially
the "full size preview" label. They are very annoying. I already read
complains in some Linux forum that the new digiKam became "ugly" and that it
throws annoying information at you :-) ...and that we don't go the KDE way,
that allows to configure your application the way you want....

Well anyway the first screenshot is basically a visual improvement, I think it
is ok. But we definitely need to provide an option to turn those overlays off
again.

Andi Clemens
www.digikam.org