[Digikam-devel] Qt and digiKam

Aditya Bhatt adityabhatt1991 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:03:09 BST 2010

Hi,

I just implemented a large part of the tagging widget in the libkface
example.
It allows you to "write" names directly below the face in a text field.

I just realized that it uses Qt 4.6's classes for a lot of things, most
notably the QGraphicsObject base class, which is required for a lot of
useful things such as QGraphicsWidget, QGraphicsTextItem (Used for the
editing names of faces) and QGraphicsSvgItem( Which, I think, could be used
for implementing the arbitrary polygonal region tagging, if we ever do it,
that is ).

What I realized after all this coding is that Qt 4.5 has a lot of methods
which were totally removed from Qt 4.6, and Qt 4.6 has a lot of classes
which are too useful to be left alone, like the above. I'd rather not spend
time trying to duplicate those above classes, only to revert back to 4.6's
implementaion in a later release.

I don't have Qt 4.5 on my system, (KDE 4.4 absolutely needs 4.6) so I can't
test if it will work with 4.5.

So I'd like to know if I can use 4.6 methods.

Can I know what sort of compatibility policy should be used? Will Qt 4.6 be
"okay" for digiKam when the time comes to merge the GSoC branch to trunk?

Thanks
--
Aditya Bhatt
Blog : http://adityabhatt.wordpress.com