[Digikam-devel] Schema update in branch

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Jul 4 15:30:15 BST 2010

> Sounds good! I tried to come up with some property names and added them
> to the wiki page. [1]
>
> So far, I have only one open question: How do we store region
> annotations which are not associated with a tag? For example, if the
> user describes something other than a person, for which he just wants
> some sort of description, but no tag?

What's the usecase?

This is the kind of stuff which you dont think about when designing the SQL
tables.

Normally, this would be a comment/description and should go into the
ImageComments table.
Any of the traditional types of comment - Comment, Headline, Title - do not
have associated region information.
We can add a type of comment which comes with region information. This
information can be stored
a) in a separate field in the table. Problem: would this field be allowed for
a normal comment, which usually applies to the whole picture? Second problem:
The UNIQUE clause would allow only one of such entries per picture
b) with the current schema, in XML in the comment field. Problem: Once again,
the UNIQUE clause interferes, limiting to one entry per picture and author.

The ImageProperties table has a UNIQUE clause as well.

We could abuse the ImageTagProperties table, with a tagid of 0. But here,
there is no author / date information.