[Digikam-devel] Akonadi

Jens Müller tschensinger at web.de
Tue Feb 23 16:57:54 GMT 2010

Hi all,

As this seems to be a hot topic, here are some of my thoughts:

- For a general exporter we need a api how to add, update & list items and
collections, we can define our own api or use a existing one like KIO or
Akonadi. With that api a host application can list collections inside their
own and do the editing. That api should devide view (widgets, etc) from data
so that each host application could show collections in their own prefered way
(lists, trees, comboboxes), there should only be some 'hooks' to dialogs
asking for new album properties etc.

- As there are existing apis we should consider them first instead reinventing
the wheel.

- For KIO I also implemented a slave as a tryout listening albums and items.
Keywords etc can be stored in own defined attributes inside the uds entries.
But I did not found it usable as the item-idents change on the gallery api
side. A items is identified by filepath on your local machine and by a id on the
gallery api (flickr, picasaweb, ...) To sync we need to store it back to the
local item, which I found problematic with KIO.

- For Akonadi we get a huge dependency (which I do not like) on board, but we
have mechanism for caching and perhaps for synchronising. Thats why I tried
this one out next.

- I do not know what's the opinion of each on the Akonadi approach, but there
seems to be differencies.

- I build these tryouts only to know what about talking and to see where are
the advantages and where are the disadvantages and if they can be solved.
- So building a tryout do not mean that this should be the preferend solution
at the end.

If you have also do some research please let me hear on the results. I would
also be encouraged to hear each's viewpoint on this topic.

Best, Jens