[Digikam-devel] Re: Git migration and submodules

kunal kunal.t2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:07:43 GMT 2010

On 12/22/2010 02:57 PM, Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
>> The structure on projects.kde.org will also be used to create the KDE SC
>> releases. So for example even if modules like kdeedu or kdegames are
>> split up into several git repositories, the KDE SC release will still
>> ship a kdeedu.tar.bz2 (at least thats the current plan as far as I
>> know) that assembles all of the sources of the various repositories.
> Creating tarballs is fine for the main KDE modules, but in digikam we have a
> slightly different problem: There is one application with a number of
> dependencies, which will be spread out over 7 repos.
>
> We would like to give the user one repository which, when cloned, has all the
> code necessary and builds just out of the box.
> It's not about tarballs or releases, it's about users who want to run latest
> Git code to see if their problem was fixed by a commit.

we could have one digikam repository that we can give to the user.
inside the .git/ of the repository we can modify the
post-checkout hook provided by git (This is done in the kde hosted
repository).
The hooks are triggered by git automatically when an event occurs (after
checkout, in the case above).

We would have to modify the "post-checkout" hook and the "post-update"
hook for the starters:

post-checkout : would contain additional git commands to pull in the
dependencies.
post-update   : the same thing as above but would update the
dependencies automatically.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/githooks.html