[Digikam-devel] How to mark image versioning in main album view?

Michael G. Hansen mike at mghansen.de
Tue Aug 3 22:13:09 BST 2010

On 08/03/2010 09:54 AM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Me and Marcel are now thinking about how to let the user know, that he has
> several other versions of the same image present - in the album view. We're
> not quite sure what would be the best for the user, so we're asking for your
> opinions.
>
> Now there is a little icon (22x22) painted over the thumbnail's bottom-right
> corner with svn_switch KIcon. I personally dislike this icon, but it's the
> best suited in Oxygen theme.
>
> Next proposal puts the versions on a pile - the top one is just like it is
> now, but below it there are other images slightly rotated, just like a pile
> of photos. With this is related another suggestion, instead of the
> randomly-like-rotated-pile-of-images, there are just blank rectangles
> painted behind the main thumnbail, each one slightly moved to top-left, so
> this looks like an ordered pile. But these two may be too confusing for the
> user as the first impression could be that it is an album or something
> (which it kind of is, but...).
>
> Next proposal is just a small emblem with either ">>" or "v" in it, to
> indicate, that there are more versions of the same image.
>
> And the last, show nothing at all. There is a sidebar for image versions
> where all the versions will be displayed all the time, so the indication in
> album view could be just left out.
>
> Please, what do you think? Let us hear your opinions and ideas :)

I also like the rotated pile, but it would be nice to make this somewhat
configurable (turn it off, switch to simple icon). I also like the idea
of having ">>" on the image - maybe this could act as a button and show
older versions if clicked?

If you go with adding an icon, this would be a good opportunity to make
a framework for showing more icons like for images that are geo-located.

Maybe you should also send this mail to digikam-user, as I'm not sure
that many of its subscribers are also on digikam-devel.

Michael