[Digikam-devel] xml2pot / docmessages / docbook bug

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon Jun 29 15:17:46 BST 2009

Hi,

thanks to Chusslove's commit #987834 for extract-doc-assoc-ui-cats.py errors
are printed properly to stderr now, so I noticed some problems creating these
docmessages templates:

extragear-utils/krusader/java.docbook
extragear-utils/krusader/installation.docbook

playground-office/kmymoney/details-widgets.docbook

extragear-graphics/digikam/credits-annex.docbook
extragear-graphics/digikam/sidebar.docbook

The xml parser called in extract-doc-assoc-ui-cats.py throughs this error
message:
"parse error: junk after document element: line xxx, column yy"

Reason is the wrong splitting of the documentaion with a structure like e.g in
digikam/sidebar.docbook:
<sect2>
content1 ...
</sect2>
<sect2>
content2 ...
</sect2>
<sect2>
content3 ...
</sect2>

xml2pot extracts only the messages from the first <sect2> ... </sect2> and
ignores the messages from the other <sect2> (content2 / content3) silently.
That means, a few hundred messages are not extracted and remain untranslated
in english in the language docbooks.

There is no problem with checkXML and meinproc4, the html documentation is
properly generated building the english documentation or a language
documentation. All language documentations only have some untranslatable
parts, which are displayed as english text.

(/me is surprised, that no one noticed this so far, sidebar.docbook is more
than two years old ...)

There are two ways to solve this problem:

1. change xml2pot (I'm not able to do that)

2. change the relevant english docbooks (in consultation with the devel teams
of course), but that means all translated messages from these docbooks will
get lost.

I'd prefer solution no 2, this is the proper way.

Any objections?

--
Burkhard Lück