[Digikam-devel] Collaboration with Kdenlive video editor: need some advice

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Jul 8 23:12:26 BST 2009

Le mercredi 08 juillet 2009 à 11:25 +0200, Gilles Caulier a écrit :
> In fact, if you know digiKam, we have already showfoto program (stand
> alone version of image editor) which work like this.
>
> A plugin mechanism is used to load tool in editor and edit image.

Dear Gilles and other members of the community,

I played with showfoto and I am very impressed.
The interface is intuitive and all needed tools are at hand:
* color and light management,
* resizing,
* effects and much more.

showfoto would completely rock in Kdenlive.

> In a first time, why not to make a digiKam plugins loader in kdenlive.
> This not very complicated and can be enough to test. Of course to make
> it in production, a better sharing of code need to be done (plugins
> loader library for ex.)

I don't understand how to bind showfoto to MLT.

> Look digiKam plugins manager code here :
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/utilities/imageeditor/canvas/imagepluginloader.cpp?revision=982741&view=markup
>
> In editor plugins are loaded here :
>
> http://lxr.kde.org/source/extragear/graphics/digikam/utilities/imageeditor/editor/editorwindow.cpp#748

This is showfoto, right?

When looking at showphoto interface, it seems that you could add layer
management. In this case, maybe we can share some code. Krita also
offers layers. I don't want to feel stupid, but it may be intesting for
digikam to use MLT as an image processing engine. You could save the MLT
code into image tags, achieving non-destruction. Or you can save the
resulting image in a two layers PNG: the original, the final rendering
and the MLT code (in tags). Science-fiction?

This is a lot of news. I have to discuss that back at Kdenlive.org.

If you are willing to bind showfoto to MLT and Kdenlive, this would
probably save us a lot of time and energy. Looking at the code, I don't
have the required skills.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel